5 Basic Meta Tags You Should Use On Your Website.
What Are Meta Tags?
Meta tags are snippets of text code that describes the content of a website. Meta tags are usually written in HTML code specifically for the search engines to easily identify what is written on a web page. The 5 meta tags listed below are the most common, and you should always use them to help fully optimise your website.
1. Title Meta Tag: Your title meta tag must include your main keyword or key phrase. Try to keep the title between 50 - 55 characters long. Think about what shows up in Google search snippet. Try to keep the title length shorter rather than longer.
2. Description Meta Tag: Your meta description tag must include your main keyword or key phrase. Include a short description of the web page content. Keep the description under 160 characters long and make it read naturally.
3. Keyword Meta Tag: Your keyword meta tag must have your main keyword or key phrase in it. Plus a few other relevant keywords related to the web page. As a guide 2-4 words or less than 100 characters.
4. H-Tag - Header Tag: Each web page needs a H1-Tag and preferably a H2. Used mainly for headings or sub heading titles, they show up as larger text and in bold.
5. Alt-Tag - Image Tag: An Alt Tag is simply naming the image you include on any web page. It should be the same name as the keyword or key phrase for that web page. Here’s an example from a WordPress template. In the image above Air Canada would be written where it says Alt Text. Most web templates will have this option in the HTML area of the site.
I hope you get the time to implement these 5 tips to ALL of the web pages on your site. These basic SEO tips will not only optimised your website better. They will make it easier for the search engines to find and index your website for listing and ranking purposes.
I'll be happy to have your thoughts, you can make a comment in the box below.